Friday, December 6, 2013

Advent Calendar



I've been on a bit of a hiatus over the last, oh, 7 or 8 months while I've been back to work but now that my little one is in day care full time I've found some tiny pockets of time to myself and I've been DYING TO BLOG.

Last year I didn't blog at all about my Christmas decorating so I thought now would be a good time to make up for that. I'm not the type to go crazy with the seasonal decor, I subscribe more to the theory that "less is more" so come holiday time we only decorate our mantel and Christmas tree, which is just enough for me.


Our mantel is easily the focal point of our open concept main floor. Because it is so long it is my favourite area to decorate. The past couple of years I've stuck with a pretty neutral Christmas colour scheme of red, white, and brown. I love the rustic, natural look of browns and beiges mixed among cranberry red and ivory. Last year I made a long garland by knotting little pieces of red and taupe scrap fabric along a strip of white linen. I laid it along the top of the mantel then broke it up with clusters of giant pine cones that my mother in law brought home from California. A simple pine wreath and some faux berries in a vintage milk bottle were added in as well.


One of my favourite blogger's, Mary from Urban Farmgirl, was selling these rustic advent calendars in her shop and I fell in love. I was so excited about how the little linen bags match my holiday decor perfectly. I was also excited to be able to count down to Christmas with my son without feeding him candies every day. I made up 10 tags with activities to do together such as baking cookies, tobogganing, and visiting Santa, as well as 5 gift tags, which correspond to small presents.


Of course, the other 9 bags have chocolates in them (I couldn't deprive the little guy).


We're only on Day 6 of our advent calendar but little Wesley is catching on. I won't lie, he's the most excited when he finds a little red candy in the advent bag but he's also had a good time decorating, visiting Santa, and baking cookies so far. Tonight he opened gift number one and ate supper by battery-operated candlelight.

Who knew that an advent calendar could create so much family fun?

1 comment:

  1. I love this so much! You make me super excited to be a mom :)

    ReplyDelete