Monday, January 6, 2014

Windsor Chair Redo


Last winter I shared a post about refinishing our dining room table (read that post here). Originally when I purchased the table off Kijiji I wanted to buy the table alone but the gentleman selling it offered the matching chairs for free. How could I pass up free? They were the same ugly finish as the table so I knew I would have to paint them eventually and "eventually" turned out to be TWO YEARS LATER! It took a couple of weekends and a little elbow grease but I managed to get them done.

{the before shot}

{sanding them up, my least favourite part...}

{all done!}

One coat of primer, two coats of paint, and two coats of diamond Varathane finish. I love the cool grey colour I chose, Oyster Bay by C.I.L. I think it compliments the creamy white table but has just enough contrast as well. 


I debated for a while about whether to distress the finish on the chairs the way I did with the table, I do so love that worn shabby chic look, but decided to leave them as is. Again, I like the contrast to the table and I think it gives me more opportunity to play around the dressings for the chairs. I'm on the hunt for some cool seat cushions but until I find exactly what I have in mind I'm experimenting with a few ideas. 

{throw pillow?}

{folded sheep skin?}

For now I think I'll leave them plain and enjoy seeing my handiwork. I also think I'll hang up the paint brushes for a while - at least until inspiration strikes again!

1 comment: